I miss oatmeal. I have no idea why but I just miss it. I walked by the packaged oatmeal at Whole Foods the other day and just started craving it. Of course, oats are not Paleo, but besides that fact they are also a little tough on the digestive system and very high in carbohydrates. I searched the web for some Paleo recipes for oatmeal but almost all of then call for banana… and bananas are even higher in sugar than oatmeal. Of course, every once in a while a banana or oatmeal won’t kill you, but I find that if I eat carbs like that in the morning, I end up craving carbs for the rest of the day.
I thought about ways to make Paleo oatmeal without all the carbs, but it really is pretty hard. What I came up with was chia seeds, hemp seeds, coconut and collagen powder. I basically took inspiration from all the oatmeal recipes I found and turned them into one high fat, low carb recipe. I think it is thick and satisfying enough to pass for oatmeal minus all the carbs. Keto/low carb people rejoice!
The great thing about this recipe is that you can make it in bulk and store it just like regular oatmeal, or you can make just enough for a single serving. You can also add anything you’d like to it, like blueberries, honey, nutmeg or yogurt!
For one serving:
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- Dash cinnamon
- Scoop Collagen powder (optional)
- 1/2 – 1 cup almond milk (or any milk/water)
For bulk (makes about 9 servings):
- 1 cup hemp seeds
- 1 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- combine all the ingredients except almond milk together in a bowl
- if you are making this in bulk just combine it in a storage container/jar.
- stir or shake it all up really well
- heat up about 3/4 cup almond milk and add it to the oatmeal mix. Give it about a minute to thicken and then serve. You can also use coconut milk or water.
- if you make it in bulk, one serving (6 tbsps) is about 1/3 cup. Nutrition facts are below.
This recipe is low FODMAP, gluten free, grain free, dairy free and low carb. It is also vegan if you do not use the collagen powder.