I’ve been doing low carb for a long time now, and I fluctuate my levels here and there to allow for life. For example, I’m not gonna say no to paleo ice cream, it’s just not gonna happen. That being said, I usually struggle to get enough fat into my macros and end up getting a little too much protein. These bites solve that problem!
They are packed with almond butter, coconut and flax. Basically it’s a fat bomb with added fiber. I can eat one of these and be perfectly full to take on a workout or power through some studying without being hungry. The fat in them satiates you and the fiber keeps you full until you eat a real meal. These are not super sweet so don’t expect them to taste like dessert. They are more like a granola bar. But you can add some honey or maple syrup if you really need them sweeter. They are the perfect go to snack.
You can keep these in the fridge for about 2 weeks. I wouldn’t push it longer than that but I also know people who eat year old almond butter (gross). You can also add protein powder or collagen powder to them but that also decreases the shelf life, so be cautious.
Here’s the recipe!
Makes 16, nutrition facts below
- 1 cup thick almond butter
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder (bulletproof vanilla powder is the best)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (I use Lily’s)
- 1/4 cup ground flax meal
- Put all ingredients except the chocolate chips in a bowl.
- Stir them together as best as you can wth a spatula
- Once they are combined add the chocolate chips and work them in with your hands
- Get a tablespoon and shape the balls into tablespoon sized bites.
- You should end up with 16 balls!