I’ve been a mad scientist in the kitchen the past week trying to come up with a cookie recipe that you can eat guilt free. Most paleo cookies are still packed with sweeteners, yes they’re from natural sources but it’s still a lot when the majority of the cookie is sugar. I had a few requirements for this recipe to be “guilt free.”
1. they have to contain protein from some source
2. they have to have nut butter from some type of nut for good fats
3. Most of all, they have to have a healthy macronutrient ratio that isn’t just full of sugary carbs.
I think I finally hit the nail on the head with these collagen cookies. They meet all the requirements!
I used Vital Proteins collagen peptides and almond butter in this recipe but you can also use cashew butter, Nutzo blended nut butter, I could even see them being good with hazelnut or walnut butter. You can also use any type of collagen or unflavored protein powder. They don’t contain any dairy, gluten, or sugar. They are sweetened with maple syrup but there is only a third of a cup for the whole batch. Plus, you can almost argue that maple syrup is good for you because it comes straight from the tree and isn’t refined! (Joking but seriously it’s still better than regular sugar.)
You can add in any ingredients you like to these like chocolate chips, nuts or even dried fruit like dried cranberries! I like mine plain but I’m just boring, so feel free so get creative!
Make yourself a batch and indulge! I posted the calories and macronutrients for one cookie below the recipe! You can also find the cookies on Lifesum which is what I use to track my macros. They are in the app under “Lifestyle by Kristina Collagen Cookies.” Now get baking!
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour
- 3 scoops collagen (1/3 cup)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup nut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl until they’re all blended together.
- Mix all the wet ingredients except the nut butter together in a separate bowl. Once they are combined then add the nut butter.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until they’re fully mixed. Here’s where you can add chocolate chips or dried fruit!
- Now line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- Drop the batter by rounded tablespoons onto the sheets. The recipe makes 24 cookies.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 mins, add a little time if you want then really golden
- Now eat!
If you guys try this recipe out and love it please share with me on Instagram by messaging me a photo or tagging me! I’d love to share your creations!